Do you wish to change the WiFi password for your Xfinity router or Gateway? If yes, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we are going to show you several ways of changing the WiFi password for Xfinity. Xfinity is probably the largest cable internet companies in the United States. If you are one of their customers, then chances are high that you have an Xfinity Gateway in your home or office. It is recommended that you periodically change your WiFi password to protect yourself and your family as you go about your business online.
- Change your Xfinity WiFi Password from a Computer
- How to change WiFi password Xfinity Xfi Gateway
- Change your Xfinity WiFi password online
- Xfinity change WIFi Password using the My Account App
- Important WiFi password changing tips
How to change WiFi password Xfinity using PC
This is the first method that you can use to change the WiFi password on your Xfinity Gateway. This method does not involve the use of an app. Instead, you are simply changing the password directly from your computer. To change the WiFi password for Xfinity, using the router, you need to take the following steps;
- Connect your computer to the Xfinity WiFi network whose password you wish to change.
- On your computer, open a browser. In the address bar, type in 10.0.0.1 and press enter.
- You will now be taken to the admin login page for the Xfinity Gateway. Log in using the default username and password.
- The default username for an Xfinity gateway is admin.
- The default password for an Xfinity Gateway is password.
- On the Administration page, click on Gateway.
- Next, click on Connection.
- From there, you need to click on WiFi.
- The name of your WiFi network will appear under Private WiFi Network.
- You may have 2 WiFi networks in there. This has become common with modern modems. The 2 networks run on the 2.4GHz band and on the 5GHz band. If you see 2 networks, click on edit for each. This will allow you to view their settings.
- Make sure that the Show Network Password section is checked. From there, you can change your Xfinity WiFi password.
- When done save your changes. You will now need to reconnect all your devices using your new password.
How to change WiFi password Xfinity Xfi using the Xfi app
This is another good method for those looking to change Xfinity WiFi passwords. It works if you have the xFi Gateway. The thing about the xFi app is that you get control over your WiFi network on one interface. There are a number of things that you can do with Xfinity Xfi. Changing the WiFi password is only one of them. To change WiFi password Xfinity using Xfi, you need to take the following steps;
- First, you need to have installed the Xfinity xFi app. Download for Android and for iOS.
- Once installed, launch the app.
- You will be taken to the Overview page.
- You will see the names of your WiFi network(s) there.
- Change your Xfinity WiFi password by clicking on Edit WiFi.
- When done, click on Apply Changes.
How to Change Xfinity WiFi password online
You can also change your Xfinity WiFi password online. This is one of the best methods because it can be done from anywhere. To change your Xfinity WiFi password online, all that you need to do is the following;
- On your computer, go to My Account.
- Log in using your username and password.
- If you have forgotten these, you can do a reset of your password.
- Once logged in, click on Settings.
- Next, click on WiFi Network & Password.
- From there, click on Edit.
- You can now do your Xfinity WiFi password change.
- Save your changes when done.
- Reconnect your devices to your Xfinity WiFi network using your new password.
Xfinity Change WiFi Password Using the My Account App
This is the fourth way of changing your Xfinity WiFi password. To use this method, you need to have the Xfinity My Account app on your phone or tablet. To change the Xfinity WiFi password using the My Account App, you need to take the following steps;
- Download the Xfinity My Account app for Android and for iOS.
- Log into the App.
- Next, click on Internet. You can find this in the menu.
- You will see images of your Gateways. Click on the picture/icon for the one whose password you wish to change.
- From there, you will need to click on Change WiFi Settings.
- If you have an xFi account, you will be taken to the xFi page.
- When done changing your WiFi password, save your changes and reconnect your gadgets using the new password.
Important How to Change WiFi Password Xfinity Tips
As noted at the top, Xfinity is a very big company. It has millions of subscribers for its internet offering along. One issue that arises as a result of this is that the company’s Gateways are manufactured by various companies. xFi Gateways, as an example, are manufactured by Arris and Cisco. We have been writing a lot of articles in this change WiFi password series. One thing that we can say is that there are thousands of router manufacturers out there.
And yes, the Xfinity Gateway is nothing but a nicely named router or modem. You will find similar naming conventions for the SFR in France and BT in the UK. If you think there is any difference between these Gateways and routers, then you need to think again. The difference is only in the name and in the shape of the device. The function is the same.
Anyway, one thing that we have noted is that there is not much that differs in the way in which WiFi passwords are changed. This applies whether one is talking about Telkom in South Africa, BSNL in India or Insta Telecom in Afghanistan. If you know how to do it on one device, you won’t have trouble doing it on others.
That’s particularly the case if you are taking the method given at the top of using your computer to change the password. However, there ARE, in fact, subtle differences that tend to undo some people. That is why we have written this section, to help you master the art of changing your WiFi password, whatever the router.
Common steps for changing the WiFi passwords
As noted, there are some common steps that you will have to go through if you wish to change your WiFi password. This applies for Xfinity or for any other router. Note here that we are talking about changing the password from your computer without using an app or connecting to your Xfinity My Account. The following is what you need change WiFi password Xfinity;
- You need to have the default I.P address for your router.
- You need to have the default username.
- You also need to have the default password.
All this information is printed somewhere on your router
Once you have this information, you should be able to get into the administration page for your Xfinity Gateway, from where you can change your WiFi password. But where does all this information come from? Most people spend hours trying to get hold of this information when it is right in front of them all along.
If you turn around your Gateway or look underneath, you will see a sticker on which is written all this information. You will see your default I.P and your Gateway’s default username and password. With this information, logging into your router’s settings page should be a breeze.
Reset your Xfinity Wireless Gateway if you have forgotten your Admin password
It is advisable for you to change the default password for your Gateway the first time that you log in. You will have noticed that we gave the password on some gateways as password. That’s very easy for people to guess. So, you need to change it to something more secure. However, some people do this, only to forget their new admin passwords.
But, what do you do then if you now need to get into the backend to change your Xfinity WiFi password? The good news is that you can get back to factory defaults by doing a Gateway Reset. If you turn around your Gateway, there should be a pinhole button on there that you can press using a pin or something else sharp. Press on this button for up to 15 seconds and your Xfinity Gateway will be reset to factory defaults. From there, you will now be able to log in using the default password.
It’s easy to find the default I.P address for any router using command prompt
Here is another useful bit of information for those looking for information on how to change WiFi password Xfinity. One of the pieces of information that we noted you need to change your WiFi password via the Gateway Admin section is the default I.P address. In most instances, you will find it on the sticker that we have just been talking about. Or it will be in the form of a web address. But if you can’t find this information, the good news is that you can still retrieve the default I.P for any router/Gateway using Command Prompt in the following way;
- Connect your computer to your Xfinity WiFi network.
- Open Command Prompt on your computer. You can do this by search for cmd on Windows and opening the icon that comes up.
- Once you are in Command Prompt, type in ipconfig and press enter.
- Your default I.P is listed in front of Default Gateway.
Choose a strong password
When you do an Xfinity Change of WiFi password, one of the things that you are going to have to do is to choose a strong password. The sad thing is that many people go through the process of learning how to change WiFi password Xfinity, only to replace their passwords with ones that are weak.
For many, these come in the form of children’s names and birthdays. However, this approach is not the correct one. The following are some of the things that you need to take into consideration if you want to change your Xfinity xFi WiFi password;
- Your password should be 10 characters or longer. Shorter passwords are easy for hackers to break.
- Use special characters in your password. Special characters include *%#$@ and !.
- You can also further strengthen your WiFi password by mixing cases. That’s because passwords are case sensitive, meaning XfiNity is different from XfiniTY.
Need further security? Hide your WiFi network
Here is another bit of advice that we are going to throw into this article on how to change WiFi password Xfinity; you can vastly improve your network’s security by hiding you connection. The thinking behind this move is that if people do not know that you have internet in your home or office, they are not going to try to break in. In fact, people will have a hard time just trying to discover what the correct WiFi name is.
Why go all through the trouble do an Xfinity WiFi password change?
So, why should anybody bother changing their Xfinity WiFi passwords? Isn’t the password that you get when you get your system good enough? Well, there are several reasons why people decide to learn how to change WiFi password Xfinity;
You should change your password if your WiFi network has been compromised
This is probably the major reason why you should change your WiFi password. Most people do it because they think their networks have been compromised. What usually happens is that your plan no longer goes the extra mile. Or perhaps your internet connection has suddenly become rather slow. There could be many reasons for this to happen.
Perhaps you gave your password to your friends and neighbors, and you no longer wish to extend the courtesy. Truth is, people out there are on a never ending hunt for free internet. If you have neighbors and if you have internet in your home or office, chances are high that some of them are actually actively researching ways of breaking into your WiFi.
Think we exaggerate? Well, just consider the fact that “how to hack my neighbors’ WiFi,” is actually a trending keyword out there. And here we are not talking about hackers hackers. We are talking about ordinary people desperately looking for ways in which to get free WiFi at their neighbors’ expense. Never mind that they have their own WiFi in their homes.
Anyway, should you suspect that your network someone has broken into your WiFi and is now busy downloading funny shows from YouTube at your expense, the solution will be for you to learn how to change WiFi password Xfinity. That way, you will be able to kick out everyone else who has been riding on your network.
Change WiFi password Xfinity to protect from hackers
The other day we were reading an article by someone who had been locked out of their own WiFi by a neighbor. The crafty neighbor apparently got hold of the WiFi password, before getting into the router backend to change the password. Neighbors, as already noted, are a menace. However, they are a much smaller menace when compared to hackers.
These do not care about your data. All they want to do is to hijack your WiFi so they can steal your banking and other details. From there, they will start spending your money on your behalf across the world. To guard against this, it’s advisable to periodically change your Xfinity WiFi password.