Are you looking to change the WiFi password on your PLDT router? If yes, then this article will show you how to do it. PLDT is one of the biggest telecommunication companies in the Philippines. Please note that PLDT has a number of offerings. The steps to change the WiFi password differ slightly for each offering. This article is for PLDT Home Prepaid customers and PLDT Home DSL customers. In this article we are going to;
- Show you how to change the WiFi password for PLDT Home Prepaid customers
- Show you how to change the WiFi passwords for PLDT Home DSL customers
- Show you how to change your WiFi password for PLDT Home Fibr customers
- Give you a few WiFi password changing tips
- Tell you why it’s important to periodically change your PLDT WiFi router password
How to change WiFi Password for PLDT Prepaid customers
PLDT Home Prepaid is one of the most popular internet offerings from PLDT. If you are on this plan, you will want to read this section. The following is how to change PLDT Home Prepaid WiFi passwords;
- Turn on your router and connect your computer to the router’s WiFi network.
- Sign into the network using the default username and password.
- Open a browser on your computer. Any browser will do for this purpose.
- In your browser’s address bar, type in 192.168.1.1 and press enter.
- If you get a security warning, click on Advanced and then click on Proceed to 192.168.1.1 (unsafe)
- This opens a page where you need to type in your login details.
- By default, both the username and password are pldthome.
- On new routers, you will now be asked to enter new new router password. This is not the WiFi password. So, you will be replacing pldthome with a password of your choice.
- Make sure to use a password that you will remember later. Or write it somewhere.
- You will now need to save the new router password before starting over again at from the top of these instructions. This time you will be using your new router password to log in.
- You will now be logged into the PLDT router Dashboard.
- Now, you need to click on the Wireless tab.
- Next, scroll down to the SSID section. This is where you change your PLDT WiFi password. Please read our password changing tips below.
- When done, click on Save to save the changes.
- Reconnect to the internet using your new WiFi name.
Changing the WiFi Password for PLDT Home DSL Customers
Things are a bit different for PLDT Home DSL Customers. To be frank, most routers out there work the same. The process of changing WiFi passwords is almost similar across the board. However, there will be slight differences that may be confusing to some people. So, how do you change the WiFi password on a PLDT ADLS router? For PLDT Home DSL customers, the following is how to change the WiFi password;
- Connect your computer to your PLDTHOMEDSL WiFi network.
- Open a browser on your computer.
- Type in the I.P address; 192.168.1.1. That’s actually the default WiFi I.P. address for most routers. If it does not work, please use command prompt as instructed below to find the correct I.P address for your PLDT WiFi router.
- One the next page, you are required to enter your username and password. The default router username is admin. The default password is also 1234. Alternatively, you can use 1234567890 if the first password does not work.
- This will get you into your PLDT HOME DSL router’s dashboard.
- Next, click on Setup.
- Next, select the WLAN and then click on Basic.
- Go to SSID and type in your new password.
- Save your changes when done.
- You can now exit and reconnect your devices using the new WiFi password.
WiFi Router Changing Tips
The tips below are in case you encounter challenges changing the WiFi password on your PLDT WiFi modem. Hopefully, you are not a technophobe. Truth is, any issue that you may encounter while trying to change your WiFi password can be resolved with just a little bit of tinkering.
A bit about PLDT Home Internet
Just to bore you a bit, we are going to briefly talk about PLDT Home. This article shows PLDT Home Prepaid customers how to change the WiFi passwords on their routers. PLDT Home is the fixed line offering from PLDT. If you are a customer, it means you have a copper landline somewhere on your home and you are using it to connect to the internet. You could also be connected via Fibre optic cable.
Whatever the case, PLDT home Prepaid is fixed broadband. It means you will have a WiFi router or modem somewhere in your home to give your family internet connectivity. This router comes with a default username and password. And this is what we have been showing you how to change in this article.
Where can I find the default WiFi username and password for my PLDT router?
The first time that you set up your PLDT WiFi router, you will have to use the default username and password. This can usually be found on the bottom of the router. This is what you are going to use initially. And this is what we are going to change for reasons that we give later in this article.
There may be differences depending on your type of PLDT WiFi router
Some people read our article on how to change WiFi password PLDT and they go ahead and try the method that we gave here. Now, when things do not work out, they come back screaming that we gave them the wrong tips. The same applies for our other articles, including on changing the WiFi password on a Telone ADSL router.
However, the thing to remember is that there are many types of WiFi routers out there. You may be using a Huawei router or some other model. Though the basics are the same, there will probably be slight differences in the way these are configured.
What matters are the basics, which are almost always the same. As an example, most manufacturers use 192.168.1.1 as the router I.P address. This is what’s used by Huawei and TP-Link and many other manufacturers.
Once you get to the login page, the default username and password are usually both admin. If that does not work, try 1234. You can also try 123456789 if the first 2 options fail. Again, this applies whatever the manufacturer or the modem that you are using.
So, you should be able to log into your router Dashboard without a problem. This is the only place where things are a bit different. A bit, because the basics are actually very similar. You will find the password referred to as the Pre-Shared Key in most instances. If that’s not the case, it will be referred to as the WiFi password, which is better because you know what’s what instantly. Sometimes it is referred to as the pass-code.
Use Command Prompt to find what your PLDT router’s I.P address
One of the challenges that you may encounter while trying to change WiFi password PLDT home prepaid and PLDT home DSL regards the router I.P. address. So, what do you do in the event that 192.168.1.1 has failed to work? Do you run around screaming while pulling on your hair in anger? Well, before you do that, we have some good news. It’s quite easy to find out what the default I.P address for ANY router is. You can find out using command prompt. To do so, you need to take the following steps;
- Open Command Prompt on your computer. You can do so by typing cmd in the Windows 10 search bar and then clicking on the Command Prompt icon.
- In Command Prompt, type in ipconfig and click enter on your keyboard.
- The default I.P for your PLDT router will be listed under Default Gateway. You can see on the screenshot above that for our router, the default gateway is 192.168.1.1
Use passwords that you can remember
Another useful tip that we would like to give you is that you should always use passwords that you can remember. Otherwise, you should write the password somewhere. This is probably the reason why some people use common names as passwords. Anyway, you can make a common name secure as a password by adding symbols and caps.
You should also change the PLDT router password from the default
Most people are happy to use the passwords that come default with their routers. However, that is not really a good idea. Hackers out there are always on the lookout for easy pickings. They know most of the default username and passwords that people get with their routers. They try these first when trying to steal your personal data.
So, you should always be wary. The moment you get your PLDT system setup, make sure that you have changed the router password from the default. That way nobody will be able to break in to steal important personal information. Nobody will also be able to get in to steal your precious bandwidth.
But why should you bother changing the WiFi password for a PLDT router?
This is a question that we have been asked by some people. Why bother changing the WiFi password for PLDT routers? Why not just use the default? Well, the answer to that is a big; SECURITY. You want to always be secure when going online.
We have already noted that most routers come with default passwords and usernames. We have also noted that these tend to be generic. So, thieves and neighbors will have no problem cracking them. What you want to do is to make sure that this does not happen by changing your WiFi password for your PLDT router.
Changing the password keeps nosy neighbors out
One of the things that will inevitably happen to you when you get WiFi in your home is that your neighbors will suddenly become very friendly. At least they are become friendlier than the average Filipino. So, you should be wary of that. But why?
The major reason why people suddenly become friendly is they want to get the WiFi password from you. You may have several come to you with sad stories about needing to urgently go online to check their mail or to do something else.
And you being the good guy, you will soon buckle and give them the password. First, however, you make them promise not to share it with anyone else. However, they are also good guys and as soon as they leave your home, they give the password to everyone else around you. Before you know it, you WiFi will have slowed down significantly.
You need to change your PLDT WiFi password for security reasons
If you go around your neighborhood, you can easily guess what most of the WiFi passwords are. That’s because people do not want to be bothered remembering complicated passwords. They use their children and pets’ names as passwords for their WiFi networks. Some people also use birthdays as their WiFi passwords.
All these passwords are quite easy to break. So, though it may appear like a hassle at first, it’s actually essential that you choose a good and secure WiFi password for your PLDT network. Make sure that your password is composed of both letters and numbers. Also use symbols and uppercase, along with some letters to confuse would be hackers.
Hackers are on the hunt for unsecured connections
We have already talked about hackers in this article. Nosy neighbors are one thing. All they will ever do is eat up your data downloading YouTube videos. Hackers are another thing altogether. You should be very afraid of them. They are another reason why you may want to change your PLDT WiFi password.
Most people are not aware that passwords need to be periodically changed. That will protect you and your family from losing important personal data. If you are like everyone else, you probably use your home internet for banking and other important transactions. So, it needs to be as secure as is possible. Otherwise you are going to end up losing way more than your WiFi password.
In this article, we have showed you how to change the WiFi password on a PLDT modem. We noted that there may be slight differences depending on the router and plan that you are on. However, the basic steps are all the same. So you should be able to navigate your way to the right place once you have gotten into your router dashboard. Anyway, hope this information will be useful to someone. Don’t hesitate to leave a comment below if you have something to add.