Do you wish to learn how to port to Vodacom from Telkom? If yes, then you need to read this article. Vodacom is South Africa’s biggest mobile communications company. To date, it has over 39.4 million subscribers. You may be looking to join the bandwagon by moving over from Telkom. So, how do you do it? The following is how to port from Telkom to Vodacom.
Steps to Port to Vodacom from Telkom
To port from Telkom to Vodacom in South Africa, you need to take the following steps;
- First, you need to buy a Vodacom SIM. These can be found in any Vodacom Store. You can also buy from any Vodacom agent.
- Next, you need to RICA the new SIM. Read our instructions on how to RICA a Vodacom SIM.
- At this point, you need to keep your old Telkom SIM in your phone.
- From the old SIM, create the following message; portme+new Vodacom SIM Number.
- An example is portme 082XXXXXXXX.
- Send the message to 082 767 8287.
- You will get a message confirming your request to port to Vodacom from Telkom.
- You will also get another message giving you a port date.
- A day after the port date, or when your Telkom SIM stops working, put the new Vodacom SIM into your phone and dial 136 to activate.
How to Switch from Telkom to Vodacom Online
You can also make the switch from Telkom to Vodacom online. Simply go down to this page. Scroll down and fill in the form as given in the image above. When done, click on the Switch to Vodacom button.
How long does the process take?
Generally speaking, porting requests are processed within 24 hours. However, that does not include weekends. So, if you make your request on a Friday, you should not expect it to be processed before the following Monday. Otherwise it takes a day to port from Telkom to Vodacom.
What happens to may airtime when I make the switch to Vodacom?
If you have airtime or data in your phone, you should make sure that it is exhausted before you make your port request. Otherwise you are going to lose everything. Airtime and data are not ported from one network to another. That would probably be a nice feature to have, but it does not exist at the moment. If you are not able to exhaust all the airtime that you have in your phone, then you may have to look to transfer it to friends and family.
Why Port to Vodacom from Telkom?
Number porting is one of the greatest features of the South African Telecommunications scene. It means that people can move from one network to another without losing their numbers. We have previously written on how to port to Telkom from MTN. Most people who are looking to port from Telkom to Vodacom probably actually originally were with Vodacom.
But they moved to Telkom at one point or the other. If you check, you will notice that Telkom has been one of the major beneficiaries of the porting process. Thousands of people have been moving to the network on a weekly basis. If you are one of those who were originally with Vodacom, but who then made the move to Telkom, you may have become disenchanted.
Perhaps now you wish to go back to Vodacom. Or may you were never with Vodacom. Maybe you came to Telkom from another network. But now you have decided to switch from Telkom to Vodacom. Hopefully, you now know how to do it.