In the world of web hosting, VPS and Dedicated hosting are everything. Ask anyone and you will be told that these are the best options for those that are looking to create their websites. In fact, we have previously been guilty of making this assertion ourselves. However, when all things have been said and done, the truth of the matter is that most of the websites that are out there will never need VPS and Dedicated Hosting. Here, in any case, are 5 reasons why you do not need a VPS or dedicated servers;
Types of web hosting
Types of web hosting are something that we have previously dwelt on in articles on this blog. Needless to say here, that there are 3 basic types of web hosting. These are;
Shared hosting is what most people do, and what you have probably been told is not good for you. What happens is that your website gets hosted on servers alongside thousands of others from people across the globe. The major benefit is that shared hosting is cheap, since you are all sharing the overheads of running that particular server.
VPS Hosting, on the other hand, gives you your own virtual space on a shared server. It is a bit more expensive than shared hosting and needs you to be able to setup and take care of your own virtual hosting environment.
With dedicated hosting, there is no sharing of server space. Your company gets it’s own dedicated server, which makes the entire thing rather expensive. However, the benefits of having your own space are many. You do not have the risks that come from living on a shared environment, and you have a lot more flexibility.
Reasons why you don’t need a VPS or Dedicated Server
Now, lets assume that you are the average Joe whose website only attracts a few hundred visitors every day. Do you really need a VPSs or a Dedicated Server? The answer is no! The same applies even if you are a medium sized Joe whose site attracts a few thousand visitors a day! Indeed, in our view, you don’t actually need your own dedicated or virtual hosting environment unless you have a site that attracts around 100 000 visitors a day! Anyway, here are the reasons why a VPS and a Dedicated server are not for you;
- You do not yet have the traffic that will justify the investment. You site needs to grow to around 100 000 visitors per day for you to begin thinking about getting a VPS.
- Your business is probably a bit too small for you to justify investment in a VPS or a dedicated server. Use your money to help grow your business elsewhere.
- The two environments that we are talking about here; VPSs and Dedicated servers, usually require that you hire the services of someone who will set them up and keep them running. There is very little plug and play here, making the effort rather not worthwhile for someone who does not have the necessary traffic.
- You will do just fine on a shared server. All the gory stories that you have heard are from people who are trying to sell you something. Shared hosting works fine for 90% of the websites that are in the world, and it should work just as well for you.
- There are many shared hosting options out there that offer even more for start-ups and small businesses. These are the options that you need to consider if, as you should, you are looking to save money.
What if I find a VPS cheap?
So, what should you get? Well, if you are a small business, why not try out 1&1 web hosting for only $1 per month. However, should you happen to find a VPS or a dedicated server cheap, then, by any mean, go for it. The advantages that you will get from this are many.