Worried about data saving features in Windows 10? Well, here is a simple way through which you can save data on a Windows 10 computer. The good news is that Windows 10 allows you to set some internet networks as metered. Here, in any case, is How to Set a Metered Network in Windows 10;
How to Set a Metered Network in Windows 10
- Connect to the network that you want to set as metered.
- Search for and click on “Change WiFi settings.”
- Next, click on “Manage known networks.”
- Click on the network to which you are connected and then click on “Properties.”
- Scroll down to “Metered Connection,” and click on the button to Set a Metered Network in Windows 10.
- You can also set a metered network in Windows 10 by clicking on the WiFi icon on your Taskbar (to the bottom right). This brings up all the available networks. Click on the one to which you are connected and then click on “Properties.” Now, scroll down and switch on the metered network.
What does setting a metered connection do?
Setting a WiFi connection as “metered,” in Windows 10 is useful for those that are on limited data plans. It allows you to have a certain degree of control over data usage on your Windows 10 computer. What happens when you do that is that Windows will ignore background requests for data coming from applications. It will also defer most Windows updates.
Some Applications Ignore Metered Connection Settings
Now that I have shown you How to Set a Metered Network in Windows 10, I need to also tell you that there is a caveat. There are some applications out there that completely ignore the metered network setting in Windows 10. One of these applications is Dropbox, which I have had to uninstall on my PC. This happened after I discovered that the application had gobbled up nearly all my data on some update that I felt I didn’t need. This is something on which I vent in the article in the provided link.
Other Data Saving Steps in Windows 10
One of the other things that I have done to save precious data in Windows 10 is to disable images in my Firefox browser. This is something that you are free to check out.