This article looks at how to create a hosted network in Windows 10. The ability to turn a laptop into a wireless hotspot is something that most people find extremely useful. If you have an Ethernet internet connection in your home or office, it’s easy enough for you to benefit from this Windows feature by setting up a hosted network on your computer or laptop. This then allows you to use your phone, tablet and other internet devices without having to worry about going over your data limit. So, how do you create a Hosted Network on a Windows 10 computer?
How to create a hosted network in Windows 10
To create a hosted network in Windows 10, all that you need to do is the following;
- Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges
- Type in the following command; netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=networkname key=yourpassword
- Replace the “networkname,” part with your chosen network name and the “yourpassword,” part with your preferred password.
- Press “Enter” when done.
- Should you have done everything right, you get the following notification; The hosted network mode has been set to allow.The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed. The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
- To turn on the hosted network, you type the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork into your command prompt window.
- To turn off the hosted network, you type in the command; netsh wlan stop hostednetwork, into your command prompt Window.
Setting up your hosted network
The next thing that you will need to do as part of the process of creating a hostednetwork on your Windows 10 computer is set up the network that you have just created. You will notice that, at this point, though you are able to connect your devices, you will not have an internet connection on these gadgets.
Sharing your internet connection with your hosted network
To get internet on your hostednetwork, you need to share your Ethernet internet connection with your Hosted Network. In order to do this, you need to do the following;
- Click on the internet icon to the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Click on Network & Internet Settings. You can also look for “Network & Internet Settings” through the Search facility in Windows.
- Click on WiFi in the Settings window that pops up.
- Now click on “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Right click on your Ethernet connection and then click on “Properties.”
- Next, you need to click on the “Sharing,” tab.
- To share you Ethernet connection with the hostednetwork that you have just created, choose, “Share this connection with…..
- Now select your hosted network from the networks in drop down list under…..
That’s it! Now that you have shared your internet connection with your hostenetwork, you shouldn’t have problems connecting your phone and other gadgets to the internet. The benefits of doing so are many. If, as an example, you have an unlimited data plan at work, there is really no need for you to buy data for your tablet or phone. All that you need to do is create a hosted network on your phone and you are good to go.