Are you looking for the default username and password for your pfSense router or firewall. If yes, then you have come to the right place. pfSense is a popular open source router/firewall. If you have set up your system, you may be looking for the default username and password for your installation. That’s the information that we are going to give you today. The table below gives you the complete pfSense default credentials list;
pfSense Default Password
The pfSense default username is admin while the default password is pfsense. If you had previously changed your pfsense username and password, you will need to log in using your chosen credentials. The table below gives you a complete pfsense default username password list;
|Model||Default Username||Default Password|
pfSense Default Password Reset
Have you been locked out of your the pfSense webConfigurator. This could happen accidentally. Or it could have occurred following an attack on your system. Whatever the reason, the good news is that you can reset your password. To reset the default pfSense admin password, you need to take the following steps;
- Go to your pfSense console. Hopefully, you have access.
- Open Shell Command.
- Disable the firewall by running pfctl -d.
- Run /etc/rc.initial.password. That’s the build in command for resetting the pfSense default password.
- Login using the pfSense default username and password given in the table above.
pfSense change password
It is advisable for you to change the pfSense default password right from the word go. Default passwords are the same across the board, and they are well known. That makes it easy for people with malicious intents to get into systems. The following is how to change pfsense password;
- Go to the pfSense console.
- Next, go to System.
- Click on User Manager.
- Change your pfSense default root password.
That’s how to do a pfSense change admin password. Make sure that you write your new password somewhere. If you forget, you may have issues trying to log in. Should that happen, you will have to reset your password.
We give the instructions on how to reset your pfSense password below. Note that you have 2 options, an entire reset to factory defaults, which removes all your settings, and a reset of only the password.
Restore pfSense to Factory Defaults
It may be necessary to restore your pfSense router or firewall to factory defaults. The method given above was for resetting only the pfSense default password. It does not reset anything else. If you wish to reset your entire system, and not just the password, the following is how to do it;
- Open a browser on your PC.
- Type in the address https://192.168.15.11 and press enter.
- Enter the default pfSense username and password.
- Click on the Diagnostics menu and then click on Factory Reset.
- Confirm that you wish to do a factory reset.
- Your system will reboot.
- You will have to reconfigure your appliance.
That’s the pfSense router default password. Hopefully, this information has been of use to you. You may also be interested in our Vodafone router default password. We also have a Huawei default router usernames and passwords article.