In this article, we take a look at how to change the Mediacom WiFi password. Mediacom is a major ISP in the United States. The company operates in 22 States. When you sign up with Mediacom, you get a router as part of the deal. It’s also possible for you to use your own router on Mediacom. The company now recommends that it’s customers get DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 compliant routers. This post shows you how to do a WiFi password change, whatever the Mediacom router that you may have. The article has the following sections;
- List of routers in use on Mediacom.
- How to change the WiFi password on your Mediacom router.
- Where to find default login details for your router.
- Reasons for changing your Mediacom WiFi password.
- Mediacom password changing hints.
List of routers officially provided by Mediacom
Below is a list of routers that Mediacom provides to it’s customers. This list is ever changing. So, don’t panic if you find that the router that you have in your home or office cannot be found there. In essence, steps for changing the WiFi password on any router are the same. So, the information given here is relevant, whatever your equipment.
- Scientific Atlanta
How to change the WiFi password for Mediacom Routers
As we have just noted, Mediacom gives its customers different types of routers. A lot of people also bring their own routers to the network. So, how do you change the WiFi password on each of them?
In this section, we will begin by showing you the general steps for changing WiFi passwords. In essences, the steps that you go through are very similar. So, if you know how to do a WiFi password change on one device, it will be easy for you to do so on any other.
We will also pick a couple of models from the above list for use in showing you how to change your Mediacom router’s WiFi password.
General steps for changing your WiFi password
The following is a guide to changing WiFi passwords. These steps will apply whatever the router that you may have. They are not just for Mediacom. To change the WiFi password on any router, you need to take the following steps;
- First, you need to find the login details for your router. So, what information do you need in this regard? You need to have the default username for your router. Next, you need the admin password. You also need the admin IP address for your router.
- Once you have gathered this information, open a browser on your computer and type your router’s IP address into the address bar.
- Press enter and you will be taken to your router’s login page.
- Login using the admin username and password.
- Inside your device’s admin console, look for the section for changing the SSID, WPA Pre-Shared Key, Network Security Key, Passphrase or Password. That’s the WiFi password.
- Make your changes and click on Save.
- Your router will now either restart automatically, or you will need to restart it.
- Log in using the new password for your WiFi.
How to change the WiFi password on an Arris TG3452 router
To change the WiFi password on an Arris TG3452 router, you need to take the following steps;
- With your computer connected to your WiFi, open a browser and type in 192.168.1.1. You can also try 192.168.0.1.
- After pressing on enter, you will now go to the login page for your router.
- Login with the Arris router admin password and username.
- The default username for most Arris routers is usually admin. In most instances, the password will also be admin. You can also try password for your router password.
- Click on Settings or Manage WiFi.
- If your router has both a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz connection, click on each and change the password.
- Click on Apply or Save.
- Reconnect your devices using the new WiFi password.
If you have a Motorola SBG-6580 router, here are the steps for changing the WiFi password;
- With your computer connected to your WiFi, open a browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. On some routers, the IP is 192.168.1.1
- On the router login page, login using the admin username and password.
- The default username on most Motorola routers is admin. The default password is motorola.
- Click on Wireless in the Menu to the top of your screen.
- Next, click on Primary Networks in the Menu to the left of your screen.
- Go to WPA Pre-Shared Key and change the password.
- Save your changes.
- Restart your router and reconnect all your devices using the new password.
Where to find default login details for your router
You will have noticed that we mention default router login details a lot in this article. But where do you find these details? Yes, how to log into a router’s admin console may be more or less similar, whatever the make and model that you may have. But there are differences in such things as the IP address and the login passwords.
Fortunately, the information that’s needed to get into the admin section on any router is usually very near you. If you look on the bottom of your router, you will notice that there is a label on which is printed all this information. So, you didn’t need to look high and low for these details. But what’s on the label? Well, you will get the following information;
- The web interface I.P. address for your router.
- The admin username.
- The admin password.
You can use Command Prompt to find a router’s IP address
Here is a little bit of useful information; it’s possible to find the IP address for any router or modem using Command Prompt. But what are the steps for doing so?
- Connect your computer to your WiFi.
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type ipconfig into the Command Prompt window and press enter.
- Scroll down to Default Gateway. That’s where you will see the login IP address for your router.
- Use that to get into the device’s admin section.
Why change your Mediacom WiFi password
Before closing this article on how to change Mediacom WiFi password, it’s important to take a moment to look at the motivation. Why bother in the first place? In most instances, you may never need to learn this information. For most people, technicians do all the dirty work. Not that there is anything difficult here.
Anyway, you may be looking to change your Mediacom WiFi password if you feel that your current password has been compromised. That usually happens if you have donated the password around the place. Most people do this. Perhaps you only wanted to be helpful.
Unfortunately, people tend to share free WiFi even after promising not to do so. It’s free and they are not the ones who will be hit by a Mediacom overage penalty. So, they are not really bothered. In any case, if you have given them your password, you will soon notice your internet slowing down as more and more people get on board.
The only solution in this case will be to change WiFi password Mediacom. Once you have done that, make sure that you or your children do not hand the new password out. Otherwise, you will soon be back in the same situation.
Password changing hints
The following are useful hints for those looking to change their WiFi passwords on Mediacom. These hints are important. They are what stand between you and losing all your money and identity;
- Your new password must have letters, numbers and [email protected]# special characters.
- Have both UPPER and lower cases in your password.
- Strong passwords are more than 10 characters long.
- Don’t give out your new password.
- Don’t use your wife/husband or children’s names and birthdays as passwords.
The object when changing your WiFi password is to secure your network. Don’t compromise on security by being lax with your password. If you do that, it will be something that you live to regret.
That’s how to change your Mediacom WiFi password. We hope that you have found this information useful. If you are on Cox, you may be interested in the login details for routers on the network. Similarly, we have an article on making changes to the Spectrum WiFi password.