Google Maps is, without doubt, one of the best mapping services that can be found out there. Launched in 2005, this amazing web monitoring service has given people across the globe the tools that they need to find whatever it is that they are looking for. This article shows you how to add a business to Google Maps.
Add a business to Google Maps
If your business is well established, it will probably already be listed on Google Maps. All that you need to do in this case is claim it. If, however, yours is a new concern, then you need to actually get it listed in order to get it to appear in Google Maps. In any case, here is how you can add a business to Google Maps;
- To add a business to Google Maps you first need to go to the Google My Business website.
- Next, you need to Sign In. If, like most people these days, you already have a Gmail Account, just use that to sign in.
- Signing in takes you to a page that shows a map of your current location
- Fill in your business’ details. This includes its name, the country in which it is located, its street address, its URL and its phone number.
- You also have to choose a Category for your business. For us its Internet Marketing Services. The category is actually very important, since it’s how Google determines which businesses to show on which Search Queries.
- The map that is displayed actually changes as you type in your business’ street address.
- If your address is not listed, you will have to set it manually in Maps using the provided interface. You can use the Satellite view to get a clearer picture of where you business is located.
- Click on the “Continue,” button when done.
- Next, you will be taken to a page where you will be required to verify your business.
- Verification is done by snail mail. Google sends out a postcard to the given address and you are required to complete the verification process within 30 days.
- Meanwhile, your business will appear in Maps as unverified.
- You will soon receive an email telling you that your PIN is on the way.
- Click on Continue and you will be taken to your Business’ Dashboard.
- You can now tweak around with the settings in your account. This includes setting the Profile Picture and setting your business’ Operating hours.
- That’s it. Now all that you need to do is wait for the Postcard that will enable you to verify your business. That’s how you can add a business to Google Maps.
Why its important to add a business to Google Maps
Having your business appear in Google Maps is of great importance, particularly for your local customers. We have already mentioned that Google Maps has become one of the go to areas for people who are looking for various products and services. Getting listed in Google My Business adds to your Search Engine Optimization efforts and gives people who are looking for you the ability to find you. It also gives your customers useful information about your business, including its opening hours and its physical address.