Are you looking for information on how to port from MTN to Cell C? The process of switching to Cell C from MTN is not a complicated one. It’s something that you can do on your own. Quite a number of people port from MTN to CellC every month. The steps given below should help you make the move;
How to port to Cell C from MTN
To port from MTN to Cell C in South Africa, you need to take the following steps;
- First, you are going to need to buy a Cell C starter pack. You can get one at your nearest Cell C store or at any other Cell C dealer.
- The next step involves registering your new Cell C SIM (RICA). To register a SIM, you need to have your ID and proof of residence.
- Keep your old MTN SIM in your phone for the moment.
- Open Messages and create a new message.
- Type the serial number for your newly purchased Cell C SIM into the messages section.
- Send the SMS to 084 767 8287.
- You will receive 2 messages confirming your port request.
- Once your old SIM is no longer working, remove it from your phone and put in your new Cell C SIM.
How long does the process take?
The process of porting from MTN to Cell C takes about 24 hours. So, you are going to need to wait that long for the process to get completed. Some people get impatient. But you shouldn’t do that since you will still be using your old SIM.
What happens to airtime and data in my old SIM?
The airtime and data that’s in your old SIM gets lost when you port from MTN to CellC. In fact, this happens whenever you switch between the networks in South Africa. As such, you need to exhaust all your airtime and data before making a port request.
Can I immediately port back to MTN?
Some people try to do this for one reason or the other. First, they learn how to port from MTN to Cell C. However, when they arrive at Cell C, they do not quite like the service. So, they decide to go back to MTN.
The bad news is that you cannot immediately port back to your old network. You actually need to wait 60 days before making a request to port back to your old network. Meanwhile, you will be struck on your new network.
Why port from MTN to Cell C
People port from one network to the next for several reasons. Number portability is a great feature on the South African telecommunications scene. It means people have freedom to choose. And the networks are forced to be ultra competitive. Otherwise they will lose people.
This competitiveness translates into lower prices. That’s good for the consumer at the end of the day. So, this is something to be celebrated. You can switch networks without worrying about losing your number. That’s how to port from MTN to Cell C. Please leave a comment below if you want to add something. Meanwhile, check out our article on how to transfer Cell C airtime.
3 thoughts on “How to Port from MTN to Cell C”
Good afternoon sir/madam
I did not receive the 2 smses whilst porting from mtn to cell c
Good day. I’m not receiving the sms to port from mtn to cell C. Day 2 now. Not happy
You may wish to visit your nearest Cell C shop to get the issue sorted out. Some networks have now disabled SMS porting