Disable Comments in WordPress
You are here because you probably want to disable comments on your WordPress blog or website. There are several ways through which you can do it, including through the use of plugins. However, if you would rather disable comments in WordPress without the use of a plugin, this step by step guide will show you how to do it.
- Log into the WordPress website for which you wish to disable comments.
- Hover your mouse on “Settings,” in the left pane and click on “Discussion.”
- In “Discussion Settings,” deselect “Allow people to post comments on new articles.”
- Scroll down and click on “Save Changes.”
That’s it. That’s all that you need to do in order to disable comments in WordPress without using a plugin. The beauty of it is that disabling comments without using a plugin means you are not adding to the bloatware that comes from having too many plugins on your site.
Disable comments on specific WordPress posts
The information that we have just given above relates to disabling comments on your entire site in WordPress. But what if you wish to disable comments on specific posts. Well, the good news is that this can actually be done. All that you need to do to is the following;
How to disable comments on specific articles in WordPress
- Go to the WordPress article on which you wish to disable comments
- Scroll down till you get to the “Discussion,” section.
- Deselect “Allow Comments.”
- Now when people scroll down to the comments section on the page, they will see a “Comments are closed,” notice.
- The good news is that should you change your mind, you can easily re-enable comments by ticking on the “Allow Comments,” section.
That’s it. That’s how you disable comments in WordPress posts. As to the reasons why you may end up going down this route, well, there is the fact that most of the comments that are posted are either spam or are from people who are looking for link juice for their own blogs. It’s a jungle out there, and people will do anything, including posting nonsensical comments, to get backlinks.