Explora 2 vs 3
The DSTV Explora 3 was introduced sometime in November 2018. Officially, it is known as the DSTV Explora (Model 3A) This is the latest version in the popular Explora decoder series. If you have been wondering whether or not to buy the Explora 3, then you have come to the right place. In this article, I take a look at the DSTV Explora 3, how it differs from the Explora 2 and whether or not it’s worth upgrading. So, continue reading this DSTV Explora 3 review to get all the information that you are looking for.
DSTV Explora 3 features
The following are the specifications for the DSTV Explora 3;
- 1TB of storage, which provides up to 110 hours of recording time.
- Crystal Clear HD
- The ability to pause and rewind live TV for up to 2 hours.
- Recording of series.
- Fast-forward and rewind live TV.
- Ability to connect to the internet to get Showmax and DSTV Catch Up Plus.
- Connect 3 extra decoders via XtraView.
- Watch one channel while recording another.
How much does the DSTV Explora 3 Cost?
DSTV recommends that the retail price for the Explora 3 be set at R999 without installation. With installation, the recommended retail price for the DSTV Explora 3 stands at R1699.
DSTV Explora 2 vs 3
If you have been wondering what’s the difference between the DSTV Explora 3 and the DSTV Explora 2; you will be surprised to note that there are not many differences. That’s probably one of the reasons why DSTV did not make any noise about the launch of the Explora 3. Having said that; it’s worth noting that there are a few differences between the DSTV Explora 2 and the DSTV Explora 3. The following are some of these differences;
- The Explora 3 does not have front panel display. This was available in the Explora 2.
- The Explora 3 is smaller than the Explora 2. The difference, however, is probably not enough to make it a game changer.
- The DSTV Explora 3 comes with only a single USB port. This is a departure from the Explora 2, which had 2 USB ports.
- The Explora 3 does not have a fan for cooling. Instead, it has a heat-sink to keep it cool.
- The Explora 3 comes with a smaller Smart Card. If fact, the smart card in the DSTV Explora 3 is almost the size of a mobile phone SIM card.
Which one should you choose, between the Explora 2 and the Explora 3?
To be frank, the differences between the two decoders appear to be largely superficial. Again, this may be the reason why there was no pomp and fanfare at the launch of the DSTV Explora 3. You may actually stick to the Explora 2 if you would rather continue to have the front panel display. That’s it for this DSTV Explora 3 Review. If you think we have missed something, don’t hesitate to notify us using the comments section below. Also check out our article on some of the other types of DSTV decoders that can be found out there. We also have another post on the differences between the Explora and the HD PVR. Otherwise have a good day!