Are you having problems upgrading your computer to the latest version of Windows 10; feature update to Windows 10, version 1909? Are you receiving an error when trying to upgrade your computer to Windows 10 version 1909? If yes, then this article is for you. You should note that almost all Windows 10 failed to upgrade issues are caused by driver compatibility problems. This article provides the following solutions to help you upgrade your Windows 10 computer;
- Upgrade while in clean boot environment to avoid driver compatibility issues.
- Temporarily remove the WiFi card before upgrading to the latest Windows 10 feature update.
Common errors when upgrading Windows 10
The following are some of the most common errors that are being thrown by computers as people attempt to upgrade to Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909. If you encounter any of these Windows 10 version 1909 upgrade errors, then know that all is not lost. Simply click on the appropriate link in the table below to jump to the appropriate resolution;
|Windows 10 version 1909 upgrade failed- error 0xC1900101||Jump to Solution|
|Windows 10 version 1909 upgrade stuck at …%- error 0x800f81f||Read Resolution|
|Feature Update to Windows 10 upgrade failed- error 0x800f831||Read Resolution|
|Feature Update to Windows 10 upgrade failed- error 0x800f0986||Jump to Solution|
|Feature Update to Windows 10 upgrade failed- error 0x800f0900||Find Solution|
Solution 1: Upgrade your Windows 10 Computer from Clean Boot to avoid driver compatibility issues
We have already noted that almost all Windows 10 upgrade problems are caused by driver compatibility issues. A solution to the Windows 10 upgrade problem is to upgrade your computer from clean boot to avoid driver compatibility issues. This solution removes the issue by ensuring that your computer only has a minimum number of drivers loaded at the time of the upgrade. That way, there won’t be driver issues. This solution usually works if you are encountering Windows 10 version 1909 update error 0xC1900101. It will also work for other Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1909 upgrade failed errors.
What’s Error 0xC1900101
According to Windows, error 0xC1900101 is usually an indication that there are some incompatible drivers on your computer. Let us repeat that most of the problems that people encounter when trying to upgrade their computers to the latest version of Windows 10 are caused by driver compatibility issues.
What are computer drivers
Computer drivers are a type of software that serve as an interface between the operation system and hardware components on a PC. The problem is that there are so many pieces of hardware on a computer. It’s probably inevitable that you are going to encounter driver problems at one point or the other. You can read more about computer drivers here.
What to do if your Windows 10 upgrade is stuck at …%
The good news is that you can install feature update to Windows 10 version 1909 on your computer by ensuring that only a minimum number of drivers are running when you institute the upgrade process. To do this, you need to perform a clean boot.
What is a clean boot?
A clean boot is when Windows launches with the barest minimum number of drivers and programs running. It’s more or less similar to Safe Mode. However, in clean boot, you have better control over which programs run when you startup your PC.
How do I perform clean boot?
The following are the steps to perform clean boot on your computer;
- Use an administrator account to sign into your computer.
- Search for and select “System Configuration.”
- Under the “Services,” tab, select “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
- Go to the Startup tab and click on “Open Task Manager.”
- Disable all startup items under “Startup,” in “Task Manager.”
- Close Task Manager.
- Click on “Ok,” on the open System Configuration,” window.
- Restart your computer.
- Relaunch the Windows 10 upgrade process.
Doing the above should enable you to resolve error 0xC1900101. This should allow you to carry out the Windows 10 version 1909 upgrade for your computer. The gallery below shows how to perform clean boot in Windows 10.
Solution 2: Remove the WiFi Card from your Windows 10 computer before launching the upgrade
Temporarily removing the WiFi card is the second solution for the Windows 10 failed to update problem. The WiFi card is also referred to as the PCIe Card. This solution works because the biggest culprit when it comes to driver compatibility issues on Windows 10 computers is the WiFi card. So, the simple but not so elegant answer to the Windows 10 upgrade stuck problem is to remove the PCIe Card. Afterwards, you can then launch the Windows 10 upgrade process. When the upgrade is done, you then reinstall the WiFi Card.
How to remove the WiFi card from a Windows 10 computer
If your Windows 10 update is stuck, the following is the solution to the Windows 10 version 1909 update problem;
- Get the tools that are needed to open your laptop or computer.
- Carry out research to find out where the PCIe Card (WiFi card) is located.
- Open your laptop or computer.
- Remove the WiFi card.
- Relaunch the update process.
I am sorry I cannot be that specific in this article. There are thousands of types of computers and configurations out there. My own laptop is an HP G62 laptop. I am something of a tinkerer but had never opened the thing till I was forced to remove the PCIe Card in a bid to make my laptop carry out the update.
Will removing the PCIe Card/WiFi Card solve the issue?
Yes, removing the PCIe Card will likely solve the issue. On my part, the moment I removed the WiFi card, I was able to carry out the update on my laptop without any problem. I don’t know why the wireless card is causing these issues when it comes to updating my laptop. It’s possible that you may also fail to update your computer because of other hardware and software issues that have nothing to do with what I talk about in this article. All I can say here is that indeed, based on my research, the PCIe Card is the main problem when it comes to the failure to make Windows 10 updates.
Won’t I kill my laptop or computer by opening it up?
If you are not the daring type, then you will probably be afraid to open your laptop or desktop in order to institute the above mentioned solution. All that I can say here is, well, I have been opening up my own computer for some time and I have never had issues. If your PC is still under warranty, you may also be hesitant about instituting the above mentioned solution.
Well, if your PC is still under warranty, then you may need to take it to an approved dealer to institute the above mentioned solution. It’s entirely up to you. On my part, my computer ceased to be under warrant long, long back. Like 7 or so years ago. The thing is that old.
Video showing how to remove the PCIe Card WiFI card from a computer
The video below shows the solution to the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1909 failed problem. If you have been failing to update your computer to the latest version of Windows 10, then this solution should work for you. If you have a laptop, just follow along what I do. If you have a desktop, just look at where your WiFi card is and carry out the solution that’s shown in the video.
Problems updating my own computer
Here is the thing, I am not just talking about something that I don’t know about in this article. A few days ago, I tried updating my own computer to Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909. I downloaded the update, and launched the installation process. However, Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 failed to install on my computer.
Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 stuck at 90%
On my computer Windows update version 1909 got stuck at 90%. There are others out there who are reporting that Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 is getting stuck at 99%. In all instances, the process is similar;
- The Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 download is made. Downloading the latest version of the Windows 10 Operation system is not actually a problem and the process goes along smoothly.
- The upgrade process to Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 is launched.
- The process goes along for a few hours. In my case, my computer was at it for about 3 hours. Again, everything at first appears to be going on fine.
- The first inclination that I was going to have problems updating my computer to Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 was when the update process froze. After about 30 minutes, I was forced to hard restart my computer.
- After the hard restart, the update process actually resumed. It went on for some time.
- Again, the process of updating my computer to the latest version of Windows 10, version 1909 got stuck. I was forced to, once again, force restart my computer.
- The process resumed at this point.
- At 90% the update to Windows 10, version 1909 failed. I could see that the entire process was now stuck. After checking that the drive light on my laptop was showing virtually no activity, I hard restarted my computer for the third time.
- Now, instead of resuming the update process, my computer started rolling back the update! I was notified that the updated to Windows 10 version 1909 had failed and the previous version of Windows 10 was being restored.
- After an hour or so, my computer was reset, sans the new version of Windows 10, version 1909.
Anyway, the process will likely follow the steps that are outlined above on your computer. If you encounter these Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 update issue, then you may be wondering what to do. So, how did I solve this problem? And what was causing it?
Causes of the Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 failed to install issue
What causes the failure of Windows 10, version 1909 to install on some computers? Well, the following are some of the reasons why you may be having problems updating your computer to the latest version of Windows 10;
- Hardware issues are the major reason why some attempts to update computers to Windows 10, version 1909 fail. In all the instances that I have encountered, the culprit was some hardware issue. The unfortunate thing is that it’s not always easy isolating the precise piece of hardware that’s causing the problem when updating to Windows 10 version 1909.
- Another related issue are driver compatibility issues. Drivers serve as the link between the Operation System on a computer and it’s hardware. So, if there are compatibility issues between the OS and the hardware, you are likely to be unable to make the update to Windows 10 1909.
- If you interrupt the update process, maybe due to a power cut or due to impatience, then Windows will probably roll back the update.
Why do people encounter problems when updating their computers to the latest version of Windows 10
To be frank, I wasn’t really surprised when I encountered the Windows 10 version 1909 update problem. And why is that the case? Well, the reason why I wasn’t surprised was that this was not the first time that I had encountered this problem when updating my computer. Truth of the matter is, every time that a new version of the Windows 10 Operation system is released, I encounter failures updating my computer using the conventional way.
I know, I shouldn’t have even bothered updating my computer to Windows 10 version 1909, knowing as I did that I was going to encounter problems. In my defense, I thought the problem was not going to be present this time around. A while back, I encountered the same issue when trying to update my computer to feature update version 1803.
The main problem that cause issues with Windows 10 updates is that there are so many manufacturers and types of computers in the world. Even computers from the same manufacturer will come in a wide range of configurations. So, when Microsoft creates a new version of Windows, they have to take into account all these various types of hardware. Clearly, the task is nearly impossible.
That is the major reason why people around the globe have been encountering Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909 failed to update issues. Each computer is composed of hundreds of pieces of hardware, a lot of which are manufactured by different companies. Then there are various software configurations on computers. The result is near chaos. It’s actually a wonder that more people do not encounter issues while trying to update their computers to Windows 10 version 1909.
Leave a comment
Did you find information in this article useful? Did I just help you solve the Windows 10 update problem? If yes, then leave a comment below. You may also wish to leave a comment if you have a solution other than the one that’s mentioned above. Anyway, have a great day!