For many people, awareness that the internet is not that safe a place does not translate into the taking of concrete steps to protect themselves. If you are one of these people, you are probably aware that everything that you do online can be hijacked and traced; from the financial transactions that you make, to the chats that you carry out with your friends and family. Indeed, the internet is not the safe, home-like domain that we would all want it to be. That is why it may be necessary for your to start using a VPN in your home right now. The following are some of the people who may be interested in what you do on the internet;
- Your own government
- Cyber criminals
- Foreign governments
- Your ISP
- Your wife, husband, fiancé or parent
What is a VPN?
The term VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. What happens is with a VPN is that it creates a virtual, encrypted network between your computer and other computers to which you are connecting via the internet. It’s this encryption of data that obfuscates your true identify and keeps you safe while surfing the internet.
Do you need a VPN?
In truth, it may actually appear as if everyone is out to get you. However, that is not the truth. In reality, nobody probably really cares what you do on the internet. Yet when they do, the results can be devastating, which is why you may wish to protect yourself with a VPN; just in case. Here, in any case are some of the reasons why you need to start using a VPN in your home right now;
- You may need to start using a VPN in your home to protect yourself, particularly if you live is countries where there are plenty of restrictions, such as China and Saudi Arabia. In that case, you do not want to have the government discover what you are doing, particularly if you are an opposition activist.
- Another reason to start using a VPN in your home is to get access to restricted websites. This would be useful in the cases of the countries that we have just mentioned above, where there are restrictions on some websites. Having a VPN in your home would grant you access to these sites.
- If you wish to download torrents, you can do so safely through a VPN. We do not, however, encourage piracy. If you need to watch a movie or listen to music, be man enough to pay for it. However, there are many instances where torrenting can be used for entirely legitimate file sharing.
- Simply to hide your identity. A VPN is a good investment if you are simply interested in hiding your identity while going online. As already mentioned, the internet never really has privacy, and a VPN helps you achieve it, to a certain degree.
- You may also need to start using a VPN in your home to access streaming services. If you live in countries where services such as Netflix are not yet available, you can gain access to these services by changing your IP to make it appear as if you are in the US. You do this using a VPN.
Again, we do not advocate for illegal activities on this site. So, if you are going to start using a VPN in your home, make sure that you are doing it for the correct reasons. The good news is that you can watch a movie for free online without resorting to anything illegal. Just follow the provided link to find out how!