Are you looking to port to MTN from any other network? If yes, then you have come to the right place. MTN is one of the biggest telecommunication networks in South Africa. Today, it has about 29 million subscribers. That’s behind Vodacom, which has about 39 million subscribers. You are probably here because you have heard that MTN is a great network. So, you wish to port from your network to MTN. Below we show you how to do it;
How to Switch to MTN
To port to MTN in South Africa, you need to take the following steps;
- To get started, you need to buy an MTN SIM. You can get one at any MTN shop near your home or office.
- Next, you need to make sure that the new SIM is registered. This can be done in store. To register, you need to have your ID and proof of residence. Foreigners in South Africa need to have their passports to RICA their phones.
- With your old SIM still in your phone, go to messages and create a new message.
- Type in PORTME#(MTN SIM number). The MTN SIM number has 10 digits on your SIM pack.
- Send the message to 083 767 8287.
- Next, you will get notification that your request is being processed.
- After a day, or when your old SIM has stopped working, put your new MTN SIM into your phone.
- Select New number, to activate it.
How long does the process take?
That’s how to port to MTN. The process to port to MTN from any of the other networks in South Africa generally takes 24 hours. However, you may have to wait a bit longer. In some instances, the process can take up to 3 days. At least that’s what the Number Portability Company, which handles the process for all networks in South Africa, says.
Do I keep my airtime and data?
That’s a question that we get asked a lot by people. If you have airtime and data in your SIM and you port to MTN, do you lose the data and airtime in the process? The answer is yes. Your airtime is not transferred to MTN during the porting process. So, you need to make sure that there is nothing in your phone before initiating the process. Otherwise, you are going to lose everything.
Why port to MTN?
MTN is a bit company on the telecommunications scene, not only in South Africa, but across the whole of Africa. So, the network is clearly doing something right. Most people looking for information on how port to MTN because they wish to get better service.
Perhaps you have heard that MTN is great. And MTN is always running promos. So, you may be looking to take advantage of these by switching from your current network. Number portability, in any case, is a great feature in South Africa. It means you don’t have to be stuck with a network that does not deliver. The moment you get tired of one network, you can switch to another.
Can I switch back to my old network?
Some people are not satisfied in one place. The moment they port to MTN, they start getting cold feet. They wish to go back to their old networks. Is that allowed? Yes, you can switch back to your old network. However, you are going to have to wait 2 months before doing it. And you will have to buy a new SIM pack for your old network.
Not everyone is looking to port to MTN. You may be looking to port from MTN to Vodacom. If that is the case, then follow the provided link to find out how it’s done.