Are you looking to disable Windows Defender on a Windows 10 computer? If yes, then you need to read this article. Windows 10, in my view, is a great antivirus for those that are looking to protect their computers from the vagaries on the online world. However, instances may arise where you need to disable it, either temporarily or permanently.Here, in any case, is how to turn Windows Defender off;
How to Deactivate Windows Defender
To disable Defender in Windows 10, you need to take the following steps;
- On your Windows 10 computer, click on “Start,” and then “Settings.”
- Next, click on “Update and Security.”
- From there, click on “Windows Security.”
- In the Windows Security window, click on “Virus & threat protection.”
- Under “Virus & threat protection settings,” click on “Manage settings.”
- To turn off Windows Defender, toggle the switch under “Real time protection,” from “On” to “Off.”
- You will get an message on your screen asking whether you wish to allow Windows Security to make changes to your computer. Click on the “Yes,” button.
That’s it! That’s how to pause Windows Defender. You may also to disable cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission and tamper protection if you are looking to fully disable Windows Defender. All of this can be done in the Windows Security window.
Why Disable Windows Defender
Windows defender is one software by Microsoft that I swear by. I have had my computer for many years and in all that time, I have mostly used Windows Defender. I had an initial period when I struggled with AVG, Avira and other antimalware programs, but Windows Defender has been my choice for well over 8 years. In all that time, I haven’t had a single problem with my computer. And the great thing is that Windows Defender is not a hog when it comes to computer processing resources. You hardly notice that it is protecting your computer in the background, unlike other antiviruses that behave like malware. So, why would you want to disable such a good product?
- Perhaps you wish to temporarily disable Windows Defender. Maybe you are installing some other software and are having compatibility issues. If that is the case, then don’t forget to turn on Windows Defender when done installing your program.
- Maybe you are looking to install another antivirus on your computer. Most people know that it’s not advisable to have 2 such programs on one machine. If you do that, you will only be slowing down your computer as the 2 antiviruses “clash.” However, we need to note that in most instances, you don’t actually need to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 because the moment you install another antivirus, Windows Defender will automatically disable itself.
Is Windows Defender Enough?
Is Windows Defender enough protection for a Windows 10 computer? Most people get worried that they are going to get attacked by malware if they do not install a paid antivirus. So, they pay through the nose for one that turns out to be not so great after all. Forgive me for saying this but if you have been paying for your antivirus, then you have been a sucker. You have been had! There is absolutely no need for anybody to use an anti-malware other than Windows Defender.
As mentioned earlier, I use Windows Defender on my laptop. I have been using it for over 8 years. In all that time, I haven’t had a single problem with malware. Windows Defender has provided true protection for my computer. So, there is no need for me to go around hunting for another antivirus. Windows Defender is more than enough. Not that I am saying other antiviruses are bad. In fact, most of them are good. My first choice among the paid products is Malwarebytes. But I am definitely not going to pay for a program when I have another that’s equally good or better waiting to be used free of charge!