Are you looking to check your graphics card in Windows 10. If yes, this article will show you how to do it in a few easy steps. You can also watch the video that we have made showing how you can check what graphics card you have on your Windows 10 computer. Knowing the type of graphics card that’s installed on your computer can be useful in a number of instances. Perhaps you have fallen in love with gaming and now wish to upgrade your graphics card. Or, maybe, you simply wish to carry out research to find out what your system can handle. The following, in any case, is how to see the graphics card that’s on your Windows 10 computer;
Check Graphics Card Windows 10
If you have been asking yourself; “how do I check my graphics card on a Windows computer,” the following are the necessary steps;
- Go to search on your Windows computer.
- Type in dxdiag.
- You may get notification asking whether you wish to see if your drivers are signed and telling you that your computer may connect to the internet.
- Click on “Yes,” to proceed.
- In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on the Display, tab.
- You will now see all the information concerning your Graphics card.
What information can you expect
When I carry out the above steps to check my graphics card on my Windows 10 computer, I get the following information;
- My laptop has an Intel HD Graphics card. To be frank, this is nothing to write home about. It does it’s job and it does it well, but it’s nothing fancy. If you have a gaming machine, you may have something with a bit more oomph.
- The Manufacturer of your Graphics card: In my case, that’s Intel Corporation.
- The Chip Type: My chip type is Intel HD Graphics (Pentium). I should note here that I have an HP G62 laptop. It comes with an Intel Pentium processor. You may think that Pentium is old, but for my laptop, the “Pentium,” is actually a scaled down Intel Core i3. The hyperthreading and other functionalities have been stripped from on there. Otherwise, the processor is good and I am still semi happy with my laptop nearly 10 years since I bought it.
- DAC Type: Internal.
- Total Memory: 1530 on my computer
- Display Memory (vRAM): Mine has 64MB
- Shared Memory: 1466.
You also get information about the drivers for your Graphics Card.
Method 2: How to Check PC Graphics Card
The second method gives you a lot less information than the first method above. However, you still get to find the type of graphics card that’s installed on your Windows computer. To find out your graphics card type; all that you need to do is the following;
- Right click on the Start icon to the bottom left of your computer.
- Chose “Device Manager.”
- In Device Manager, click on “Display Adapters.”
You will now see the type of Graphics card that you have on your computer. When I use this method on my computer, I only see that I have the Intel HD Graphics. I don’t see all the other information.
How to Check Graphics Card Windows 7
How to see your graphics card in Windows 7 is more or less similar to the method that I outlined for Windows 10. All that you need to do is the following;
- Simultaneously press on the “Windows+R,” keys on your computer.
- Type in “dxdiag,” without the quotes.
- Press “enter.”
- Click on the Display tab.
- You will now get information about your graphics card.
Windows 10 Check Graphics Card Video
The video below shows you how to check which graphics card you have on your Windows 10 or Windows 7 computer;
How check graphics card for updates
If you want to check whether or not any updates are available for your graphics card, then you are going to have to use the following steps;
- Right click on the Windows icon to the bottom left of your screen.
- Select Device Manager.
- Click on “Display Adapter.”
- Right click on the graphics card and choose “Update driver.”
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
That’s it! That’s how to check graphics card specs on your Windows computer. I have also given you information on how to check for graphics card updates. Note however, that in Windows 10, you don’t actually need to go around hunting for drivers for your computer’s hardware. The process mostly takes care of itself automatically. If you have been updating your computer on a regular basis, as you should, then you will find that you will be told while using the above method that your PC already has the latest drivers.
What type of RAM do you have on your computer? Use the article in the provided link to find out more about computer memory. Also check out my article on how to seamlessly carry out Windows updates.