Have you been asking yourself, how do I get internet services? The internet is available everywhere. Despite this, it remains a mystery to many people. You need it to attend your online classes or make an online payment. Others need it for grocery shopping, or they need it to manage their smart home security systems. Researchers need it to reach out to other researchers, in other parts of the world. Whatever the case, everyone needs an internet connection in this day and age. The process of getting internet comes with its challenges, which will be discussed in this guide.
Process of getting Internet Service
The process of getting an internet service includes the following:
- Firstly, you need to scan the area and determine if there are any providers located in your area. You can ask your neighbors or friends about it, or you can even use the Fixed Broadband Deployment locator designed by FCC. In South Africa, ISPs include mobile operators such as Vodacom, Cell C and MTN.
- The next step includes reaching out to internet service providers and asking for their internet plans. If you are canceling an internet service, you can read what the ISP’s policy is on the process of canceling a service.
- It is now time for you to peruse the many internet plans you have collected from ISPs. You will look over the types of internet connection you prefer, the internet speeds you need, your household’s budget, and other factors that come in while deciding on buying an internet connection. Xfinity Internet packages have basic plans that have average internet speeds and are affordable, while their premium plans have faster internet speeds with pricier rates.
- When you have decided on the ISP you plan to go for and their internet plans, you will receive equipment from them. The equipment includes a modem, router, and other accessories like cable wires and a power cord. This equipment comes on a rental basis from most ISPs. You can also choose to buy a compatible third-party modem or router.
- Finally, it is time to set up the equipment. You may be able to self-install the equipment if ISP feels that the process is easy for you to carry out. Otherwise, ISP will send a professional technician to your home if the process of installation is too complicated.
- That’s an answer to the question how do I get internet services. Now you can connect all your devices to the internet connection. Your smart devices will connect to the internet wirelessly, and other devices, that don’t have a wireless option, can be connected with the help of Ethernet cables.
Types of Internet Connection
Though you now know the answer to the question how do I get internet services, you still need to have a little knowledge about other factors, such as the types of internet connection.
- DSL is the slowest type of internet connection after the ever-obsolete dial-up connection. The internet speeds with DSL range from 25 Mbps to 50 Mbps, which is great for one or two devices with minimal internet activities like browsing social media, streaming average quality movies or music, etc.
- Then there is cable internet, which, as the name suggests, comes from the TV cable wiring around your neighborhood.The internet speeds on cable internet are available from 50 Mbps to 500 Mbps. The major drawback is that since cable wiring is shared among the whole neighborhood, internet connection tends to lag and slows down.
- Since DSL and cable, wiring isn’t really found in the remotest corner of the world, or rural areas, internet users living in those regions go for satellite internet connections. Satellite internet connection tends to lag due to unpredictable weather, rough terrain, and other physical obstacles, they are still the best option for such areas. The internet speeds offered by satellite internet connection can start from 25 Mbps going on to 100 Mbps.
- Finally, a fiber-optic internet connection offers the fastest internet speeds in the world. Its highest speeds go up to 2 Gbps (1 Gbps = 1000 Mbps), which makes the other types of internet connection seem obsolete. But the thing is, the infrastructure of fiber-optic connection and resources needed are expensive, which is why it isn’t available widely.
You can choose from any type of internet connection depending on your browsing needs, however, you will still be limited to the type of internet connection that is available in your area. If a fiber-optic internet connection is available in your area, and it meets your budgetary criteria, then you should go for a fiber-optic internet connection.
It’s not enough to know how to get internet services. Another to consider when buying an internet connection is to look over the different internet speeds and which one you might need.
- The lowest one of download speed around 0-5 Mbps is good for checking emails, streaming music on just one device, or using the Google search engine
- 5-40 Mbps download speeds are good for streaming videos on two devices, video calling with Skype or FaceTime on one device, and online gaming for one player
- 40-100 Mbps is the best speed for watching HD videos on one or two devices, multiplayer online gaming, and downloading large files
- 100-500 Mbps will work for streaming of UHD videos on multiple devices, online gaming for multiplayer and downloading files at a quick speed
- 500-1000 Mbps will allow you and your family to be able to do any activity on the internet on multiple devices simultaneously
The factors being discussed above are one of the few things to consider when buying an internet service. When you have narrowed down all your requirement, all you need to do is sign up, have ISP install the internet connection for you while you sit back, and enjoy browsing and scrolling on your smart devices.