Across the globe, there are nearly 2 billion websites, all of which are indispensable to the way that we experience the World Wide Web on a daily basis. However, for the most part, websites do not appear to have an overt way of generating money. So, how do the people behind these sites make a living? How do websites make money? Here, in any case, is the answer;
- Through affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing pretty much adopts the model of the salesperson of yesteryear. By endorsing various products and services, websites get to make money for their owners. There is no end to the number of products and services that these sites can endorse; from web hosting services to kid toys.
- Through the sale of products on the website. Some website owners generate an income by selling their own products and services using their sites. There are many pieces of software that enable this to happen, including WooCommerce. A good example of a product that may be sold on a website is a book. We have actually been selling our science fiction book on this very site.
- Though AdSense. Google AdSense displays adverts on websites that have signed up for the program. In return, website owners get to generate an income. The amount of money that you are going to make this ways is, however, dependent on the popularity of your website. Indeed, you need to be able to attract tens of thousands of visitors on a daily basis in order to generate a meaningful income via Google AdSense. There are alternatives out there, but AdSense remains the best as far as PPM and PPC advertising are concerned.
- Through sponsored posts. Websites also make money through what are called sponsored posts. The concept is more or less the same as with affiliate marketing. With sponsored posts, the website owner writes a (glowing) review about a product or service in return for some payment.
- By directly selling advertising space. As mentioned earlier, AdSense allows website owners to make money by showcasing adverts on their sites. However, instead of generating an income through AdSense, websites can actually sell advertising space directly to companies. This would work for popular sites that have a lot of bargaining power. For everyone else, AdSense and its alternatives remain the best.
- By selling the website. If you have worked hard on your site and have grown a sizable readership, you can generate an income by selling the site. There are sites out there that have made millions for their creators, but again, the key is on popularity.