Online Payments are still possible using Zimbabwean Banking Cards
Update: The information below has now been superseded by events over the past year or so. Ordinary bank cards can no longer be used to make online DSTV payments in Zimbabwe. However, if you have Forex, you can buy a prepaid MasterCard or VISA card from any bank. You will then use this to make all your DSTV payments.
More rumors than usual have been swirling around the social scene across Zimbabwe, with doomsday prophets of all shapes and sizes claiming that it is no longer possible for people to make online DSTV payments from Zimbabwe. This reportedly followed an alleged determination by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe that it would stop online transactions in a bid to stop cash leakages.
The Actual Position
This short post is aimed at putting this to rest, at least with regards to my own bank Standard Chartered Bank. Yesterday, I successfully made an online payment using my bank’s VISA facility.
How to Pay for DSTV Online
There are a number of ways through which Zimbabweans can make their DSTV payments. This includes the following;
- Using debit cards
- Using ECOCASH
- Using VISA and MasterCard Cards
- Using Cash
If you have been following the news, you will know that there have been complaints, particularly from RBZ officials, around the fact that Zimbabweans spend over 200 million dollars on DSTV payments between July and December 2016.
They also reportedly spend an equal amount of money importing Potato Chips from South Africa, but that is besides the point.
How to make online DSTV payments from Zimbabwe
To make online DSTV payments from Zimbabwe using your locally issued VISA and MasterCard cards, all that you need to do is the following;
- Visit the DSTV Eazy Self Service website
- Scroll down and click on “Make a Payment.”
- As you can see in the above screenshot, you also get the choice to pay using ECOCASH
- Input your Customer or Smartcard number in the provided space on the left.
- Type in the Captcha and click on Verify
- Next, click on “View Balance and Pay.”
- A screen will appear that shows the amount that you need to pay
- Click on the “Pay,” button
- Choose the PayU button to pay using MasterCard or Visa
- Input your card details and click on the Pay Button
- You will receive a one off Pin number in your mobile phone
- Enter it in the provided space and complete the process.
That’s it. This article turned out to be a bit longer than I had originally planned. In any case, I hope it helps you by showing you how to make online DSTV payments from Zimbabwe using locally issued VISA and MasterCard cards. I also wanted to tell you that it is still possible to make online DSTV payments from Zimbabwe using local VISA and MasterCard enabled cards.