How to Choose a Web Host
Choosing a web host can be intimidating. A major reason for this is the fact that there are so many companies out there, all of which claim to be the best at what they do. Which, then, should you go for and what criteria should you use when making your choice?
Yours is a grain of sand in the ocean
- If you have carried out research beforehand, you will have discovered something even more alarming; the fact that there are currently over 1.1 billion websites in the world, with thousands more being added to the fold on a daily basis. What, then, can you do that has not already been done a million times before?
- However, once you have made the decision to put yourself in the limelight, the next thing that you need to consider is the choice of web host.
What is Web Hosting?
- When we talk of web hosts, we are referring to companies that specialize in the provision of storage space (servers) and related technologies on which numerous websites are housed and made accessible to people across the globe.
- Web hosting can, therefore, be described as the process by which multiple websites are housed, managed and distributed by companies that specialize in the provision of the hardware and software infrastructure that is required in order to make this process successful.
Examples of Web Hosting Companies
There are numerous Web hosting companies out there, all of which specialize in the provision of, more or less, the same type of service (web hosting). Differences exist, however, on a wide variety of issues, some of which we are going to talk about in the rest of this article. The table below shows some of the best known Web Hosting Companies;
At Network Bees, we are constantly reviewing the best web hosting companies that are out there. We know that choosing a host can be difficult, particularly for beginners.
- Therefore, our aim is to help you out when choosing the best host for your site. The good thing is that our recommendations are genuine. As an example, we can declare that InterServer is one of the best web hosts that you will be able to find out there. Why?
- It is the company with which this blog is hosted, so there can be no doubting the integrity of our recommendation.
- The above are just a few of the thousands of web hosting companies that exist out there. So, what should you consider when choosing a web host?
1. Choosing a Web Host: Reliability
The first thing that you need to consider when choosing a host for your website or blog is the issue of reliability. This is of paramount importance, particularly if you want to go beyond mere blogging, to become the owner of a site that can seriously compete with more established websites. So, what is meant by reliability?
- The one thing that can adversely affect your brand in the eyes of your visitors and subscribers is having a site that is always down, for one reason or the other. This can become serious, if you are looking to start, say, an online store. In such an instance, any time that your site spends offline translates into potential losses for you.
- A web host that is reliable is one that not only promises you an uptime that is above 99%, but also delivers on that promise. Browse through the internet, and you will come across comments and reviews that point you in the right direction, in terms of choosing the most reliable web host. (You can also check out our article on the most reliable web hosting companies in the world.)
2. Speed and Performance
- Another thing that you need to look out for when choosing a web host is speed. While we understand that you won’t really know whether or not a particular host is fast until you have had time to sample its services, there are things that you can do to find out more about a Web Hosting Services provider. You can, as an example, read the reviews that have been posted across the internet on the services that are available at various webhosts. So, why is speed so important in web hosting?
- The world of technology is such that people no longer have the patience to spend time waiting for a single web page to get loaded onto your device.In fact, studies show that page load speed has a bearing on conversion, which means that if you intend to commercialize your blog or website, it is important for you to chose a host that offers you the best in this regard.
- When choosing a web hosting company for your blog or website, you want to go with one that has the infrastructure that is needed to make sure that your pages get loaded onto visitors’ devices at the fastest possible speed. (Read this article to find out how you can optimize your website’s speed and performance.)
- For this blog, we went with InterServer, and we have to say that we have, so far, not been disappointed by the service that we have received.
3. Price/Payment Terms
For better or for worse, price remains the major consideration for most people who are on the hunt for a host for their websites.The table below shows the entry level hosting plans at some of the major hosts, including the price when you choose to have your site hosted for only a single month;
The one thing that we have noticed is that web hosting prices tend to fluctuate, sometimes on an hourly basis. This can make choosing a web host somewhat difficult. However, we reiterate that price should not be the primary of your concerns when choosing a web host.
Hosting prices vary significantly, depending on the duration to which you wish your chosen plan to run. Most of the Web Hosting Companies out there advertise the 36 month package, which, as it turns out, is the cheapest. The only company that’s advertising a single month package in the table above is InterServer.
The final issue that you should consider when choosing a web host is support. Browse across the internet and you will discover that this, by far, is the issue on which people have the most complaints about their web hosts. It is important for you to choose a web host that has the highest level of support because, at some point, something will inevitably go wrong with your site, and when that happens, you need to be able to talk to someone who is both willing and able to help you.
Should you wish to join us at InterServer, you can take advantage of great deals by clicking on the banner below.